Thursday, March 22, 2012

Waves 2: Us 0

It is was blowing 20-25 knots we went back to the beach area to play in the short surf. First, I took a spiller on my beam,, about shoulder high, with a low brace and boogie-boarded onto the beach. There, the kind water bashed me a few times as I straightened myself for a surf launch. I never got out of the cockpit. So far, so so. I launched and saw the very same wave coming at me, and it spilled on my fore deck. I was about to tuck to go over in shallow water when my paddle touched bottom. I cheated and pushed up. The next two sets broke in front of me, but e speared through no worse for the experience with a gritty feeling under my clothes. Then Sherri caught a wave.

She rode it and rode it and rode it and Sherri is on the beach. She was not as lucky as she landed in a spot where the waves hunt you down and try to destroy your boat. She got out to get all the sand out; and a  wave tried to break her legs with her boat. She moved down the beach a bit and relaunched.

Now I am sitting with the delicious memory of the experience as lightening strikes around my tent.

Paddle safe...
DS

3 comments:

Al Gould said...

Sounds like a blast.

Unknown said...

Wow! That sounds really challenging. 20 - 25 knots is a wind to give concession to, even in a bigger boat. I am impressed with your daring.
Rosemary

Lenore said...

Sounds like a good day -- especially because apparently no lasting harm was done to paddlers or boats. Now, watch out for the lightning.