Tuesday, May 01, 2007

You Gotta' Love It

Maybe it's due to the way I was raised. My mother was born in Russia (came here at age 8...but I digress) and neither parent went beyond high school. It was made clear to me that my job was to get an education, and it was clear that teachers were high up in the pecking order of respect. To this day, I hold in high esteem all who have taught me. To this day, my passion is to teach. So, I was honored when JB asked me to do the local REI demo out at Pewaukee lake last Saturday (JB, of course, was busy doing...what else...teaching an IDW).

The interest in learning was amazing, and the questions were excellent as folks of all ages gathered for what was, for most of them, their first paddling experience. What kind of boat do I get? (One that tracks well,turns and rolls easily and costs under $100). What is that funny thing (a Greenland stick)? What is the difference between a sea kayak and a recreational one? (About $1000).What is the meaning of life? (You get that in the advanced course).

Interested students and good questions are a wonderful stimulus for any teacher. I was pumped (but cool and sophisticated...it's a gift). I even pulled on a neoprene hood and did some sculling and rolling for the group. I only hope that they got as much from encounter as did I.

Paddle safe...

DS

5 comments:

Michael said...

Let me know the dates of the 'advanced course' please. I'll clear my agenda... for as long as it takes! ;-)

Silbs said...

LOL. I cannot find an organization that is both willing to offer the course and rent a hall large enough to contain those wishing to attend.

JohnB said...

But, at a mere $5.00 per person, think of the kayaks you could buy!

Silbs said...

My eyes are glazing over :)

DaveO said...

Theres nothing more rewarding than teaching a skill to folks who are anxious to learn and appreciative of your efforts.