Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Swords Into Plow Shares

On Milwaukee's north side is a huge tract of land which is, in fact, a state forest. No longer able to enjoy my passion for long distance running, I often go there just to walk and enjoy the quiet and the vast variety of plants and trees.Although there are several trails, a center, a windmill generator and stone roads, the vegetation itself is pretty much in its natural state. I enjoyed all this yesterday as a large white tail deer played hide and seek with me (he won, therefor no picture...but I digress). As I often go in the middle of the week and on days with marginal weather, I saw only one other person. Pretty exclusive, wouldn't you say?And that's pretty much it. Nothing fancy. Oh, by the way, back in the 1950's (when I was in high school) you weren't allowed to set foot here...because it was a Nike Missile site.


Paddle safe...


DS

3 comments:

Michael said...

Goodness me, a missile site that close to a major city?! Someone had a much better idea to turn the area into a peaceful park. A good followup to yesterday's environmental posts!

JohnB said...

shhhhh. . . Don't tell anyone, but Silbs is in the running for the Nobel Peace Prize next year!

(remember, you heard it here first!)

Silbs said...

Don't miss my new book: An Inconvenient Rash :)