Thursday, June 05, 2008

You Talking To Me?
Sometimes it seems as if everyone is talking to me...especially during election season (which seems to be always...but I digress). The TV, the radio in my car, the newspapers, handbills posted on...well, on post, billboards, traffic signs, stickers on everything, etc., etc., etc.. They are all talking to and at me, and I don't even know who they are (and why is it punishable by law to remove that tag from my mattress?).

Even if one takes a walk and makes the mistake of carrying a cell phone, folks find you and make contact on their time schedule. Having to carry a page (pre cell phone era) 24/7 and having to be 100% available 100% of the time is what wore me down the most during my decades in medical practice.

I remember when I was interning at Washington D.C. General. We didn't have any of the modern blood pressure medications, and I had a patient whose BP I could not control. I took the problem to my chief who told me to put the patient in the hospital. "And do what?" I asked. I was told to do nothing, just put the guy in the hospital. I did and, 24 hours later, his pressure went down to normal. Then the chief told me that when I discharged the patient, his BP would go right back up. His disease was exposure to "modern" life.

There is at least one study in which (I don't know how) that got patients to not read the papers, listen to the radio or watch TV. All of their pressures came down to normal with no medication. Are you seeing a pattern here? After so many many years of being in touch, I find my cure on the water. No cell phone or other internet gadgets go with me (I might have the cell phone in the day hatch, but it is off). The only electronic device is my VHF marine radio, and I pretty much don't notice anything coming over it other than a "may day".

Someone loves us and wants us to stop and smell the roses. Wait, that isn't a rose. I don't know what it is. Could I use your hand held go-anywhere computer to go on line so I can find out?

(I am off to teach and will be away through the weekend)

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

DaveO said...

When I used to ride motorcycles I had friends ask why I didn't get one of those helmets with the two way radio and the 'tunes' in it. Its not too often you get to be alone with your thoughts in this day and age and flying down a county trunk road on the bike was one of em. Just like kayaking is now. Another fine post.

Peggy said...

Nice photos and a fun read. I think that flower might be a camellia?