Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Tale of Two Paddles or The Schizophrenic Process of Paddle selection
That's my friend Doug getting into his boat and about to tow his play boat full of paddles. Why? Well, as many of you know, I am going through the process of selecting a new paddle. The reps say I need a 220 size, the same size which I now have and which has never quite seemed right. Some time in the recent past I tried someone's 215 something and it felt great. Brain Day suggested that the trend was, in fact, toward shorter paddles. Even my local guru, Gary Simon, told me that he had been telling me to go shorter for some time now (although I do not remember any such thing...but I digress)

I got excited. Obviously, I needed a 215 something, then my Romany would go like a 20-footer. Anyway, I asked Doug if I could try his 215 (which happens to be a high angle Ikelos). Well, he brought it down to the launch site along with a bunch of other Paddles, some of questionable ancestry. I started trying his paddles looking for the one 215 something that would move up into the highest rank amongst paddlers. Then I picked up this Werner paddle with no name on it and gave it a try.

It's the black one in the picture. The yellow is my present 220 Camino which I have come to discover is too long. Well, this black paddle contained black magic. I mean, it was the best. My Romany took off with little effort. Suddenly, I realized I was no longer leaning forward to make the catch and that the blade was into the water several inches ahead of where my 220 would enter. So, I asked, "What is this thing?" Answer: It is the carbon version of my Camino. Only difference is that the wonder blade was a 230. No, that is not a typo. This 230 reached the water for me and, with no more effort than I usually am willing to expel, propelled the boat very well.

I am presently seeking a psychiatrist that paddles as well as a whole new bunch of experts who want to give advise. Life is a mystery.

Paddle safe...
DS

4 comments:

JohnB said...

oh my . . .

Alex said...

lol, that's hilarious! i say just switch completely to a greenland paddle and forget the whole paddle length argument...

derrick said...

I'm with Alex on that one!

RoyM said...

Swithing to a Greenland Paddle...What Length Greenland Paddle?...HMMM..What width blade?....HMMM .. What loom length? Carbon? wood? combination of carbon and wood?...take apart? or one piece? shoulder or no shoulder?

AARRGGG...it never ends....:)

Best Wishes in the search
Roy