Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanks...For EverythingEspecially Family
I begin everyday by saying, "thank you." Hey, at my age, it is wonderful just to wake up on the right side of the grass. Much more than that, I live a blessed life. I have had reasonably good health,I can still get into (and with some help out of) a kayak and I can hold my own in rough stuff. I can roll with a Greenland stick, and I can walk without mechanical assistance. But more than anything I own or can do, I am blessed with a wonderful family.

I am reminded of this even more as they all gather here for thanksgiving. Our usually quiet and orderly home is coming alive with voices, the chatter of a grand son and the squeaking of our grand daughter. Tupper ware and toys are scattered about the kitchen floor. My daughters and the wonderful men they've married will soon be talking, arguing, yelling and laughing; and I will be watching, listening and smiling from my heart for the gift of it all.

To all my country men (for whom this is Thanksgiving Day) and all my brothers and sisters around the world, I wish you as much. No kayak, or even a pot of gold, is near so valuable as the love of family and sense of community. Peace.

Paddle safe...
DS

3 comments:

Michael said...

Thanks Dick. Best wishes to you and yours, kayaks included! :-)

Mine's said...

I am so thankful for the wonderful father I was blessed with. Three years ago on Thanksgiving I got engaged. One year ago on Thanksgiving I felt Adena kick for the first time and now on Thanksgiving I get to spend it with my whole family.

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

Well said...