Thursday, December 03, 2009

Getting ready...
Physically and Mentally

It may soon look like this where we paddle, and I am not yet prepared for same. My dry suit is at Kokatat for testing and repairs. I need to get my new Cetus properly outfitted, and that will take at least until Christmas time when I will be getting the skeg control sorted out. Preparing mentally, now that's another story.

I noticed that the past few days when I walked Ansel near or before sunrise, I overdressed for the cold. I would check and, seeing the temps dipping into the 30'sF, would put on too many layers of fleece. That tells me I am dreading the cold on these old bones. On the other hand, it is reassuring to know that one can dress properly when it really gets cold. In actuality, we usually aren't out there when temps or chill factors are much below freezing, but sometimes we are.

Meanwhile, I have added weight training (nothing dramatic) to my gym visits and am trying to increase my aerobic capacity. I know I will do more sitting and reading during the winter and not be up and about as much as usual. During my recent bout with a sleep disorder I packed on 8+ pounds which are just now starting to go back to where they came from ( he said, ending the sentence with a preposition). It doesn't get easier as I get older.

Paddle safe...
DS

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Silbs, I don`t know anybody who doesn`t have a sleeping disorder, many people that I speak to say that they dont sleep at night, so welcome to the club. Have you overcome yours yet? good luck and keep warm

Silbs said...

Getting better, thank you; but the meds have caused bad side effects. Have to choose how I want to be miserable.

JohnB said...

"It doesn't get easier as I get older." -- but is getting older easier?

Just curious as I'm a few years, not many, behind you and getting older hasn't hit me yet. Just trying to figure out what to expect. Noticed the lateness of your posting for yesterday.

Silbs said...

Getting older is a snap. I do it all the time.