Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wait A Minute
Around here we say, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute." Why bring this up? Well yesterday I went for a rare (for me) river paddle near my home. I waded out into a yard of PCB infected muck to float my Romany and head down river. Levels were low, and the current around 3+ knots in places.
It soon became apparent that leaving open the Estabrook dam had "drained" this section of the river, and the boat bottom out several times. The worst of it was when I went around the island off the golf course. This is where I usually see mammals, lots of birds and a wide easily passable channel.
My wonderful passage, however, was down to a trickle, and I had to wade and drag the boat several times.
This was likely to be the last time I ever launch on this filthy section of the river. Why mention it? Because, as I write this, a thunderstorm has been raging all night, and this section of the river is now under flood warnings. What's gong to happen? I don't know. Wait a minute.

Paddle safe...
DS

1 comment:

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

Come West young man we'll put you in a river that you can paddle.