Monday, January 17, 2011

Moving On...
Soon
Okay, I've gone and done it. I'm not going to be another Gary (see last two posts). I am going to support the economy. I have, in fact, stepped forward on behalf of my country and done the right thing. I have ordered another kayak, and I expect delivery in spring. So, I need to sell the Cetus.
 I had a steep learning curve when I first paddled this boat. Having paddled a Romany for so many years, it took me a while to learn this Swede form boat's habits. When I did, I found I loved the boat. It is the most stable platform I have ever paddled, and I have been able to do photography in some heavy stuff.
 Like many others, I did have some skeg  problems until Brian Day of P&H met me in Madison and replaced the mechanism with their new and (in my judgment) perfected gizmo. Since then, I have had no further problems. The boat does have the usual cosmetic scratches, and I have ordered a batch of the original gel coat from the factory in England. In fact, the support I have had from Brian and Kelly Blades has been sensational. Any time I've had a question, I have received rapid e mail responses and, sometimes, a phone call. So why sell the boat?

It's, in part, Kelly's fault. He let me paddle the MV model for a week last summer, and I discovered it was a better fit. I learned that I was in a bit too much boat with the full-sized Cetus and that I had incredible control in the MV. Although both rolled well, the MV obeyed a bit better. So, time to move on and sell the orange hull that has served me so well.
So, Brian and Kelly better get me that MV soon :-)

Paddle safe...
DS

4 comments:

Odin Hestholm said...

The Cetus is a very good kayak. And as you write; A perfect kayak for taking photos in rough condition! I have used mine on the west coast of Norway. I was thinking about selling the Cetus, but next year I will get on with the "advanced course", so I think the Cetus will come in handy.

I haven`t tried the LV- or the MV- version.

Silbs said...

Thanks, Odin. I am 5' 9'' and 170pounds. The MV fit like a glove.

DaveO said...

Congratulations on stimulating the economy. I will see my long lost Milwaukee buddy in Madison in two weeks and will put the bug in his ear again. I paddled and surfed the Cetus in some nice waves while windbound on Sand Island a couple years back and it does have some nice habits. Stay warm!

Silbs said...

I'll make him an offer he can't refuse :)