Friday, November 11, 2011

Enough...
There is a 4+ year old boy on my mind this Veteran's day. He happens to be my grandson. I am unlikely to be around when he reaches the age of 18, so I want to make my wishes for him known now. I wish for him a world of peace. I wish for him to not have to pick up a fire arm unless he chooses to target shoot. I wish for him a time of no wars and a time with none of our armies on foreign soil. I wish him the gift of world peace.

I was born just before the attack on Pearl Harbor and have never known a time without wars. I have seen war and it ain't pretty. There are, I can tell you, better ways to gather memories.

I know others who have had the same experiences including Bill, next door, and my mentor JB. I know that look when I face another man who has served, especially in 'Nam and that teary gaze we share. I know the monuments in Washington D.C. and The Wall I can never approach without crying. I know, or knew, some of the men listed there.

I know what I know, and I don't want my grandson to know of such things. Yes, I want him to know our history and what has gone on, but I want it to serve as a lesson to him how terribly wrong things can go.

I appreciate the "thank you" comments that have been coming my way. I don't know about other vets but, for me, a smile and a knowing nod would be plenty of thanks. Then, pray for peace for my grandson.

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

DaveO said...

Enough indeed. Excellent post, should be required reading.

Duncan and Joan Barwise said...

Thank you, Silbs, for words that move and inspire us to take the right direction. As I have shared in my Nov 11 posting, we too have been touched by the consequences of war. Enough...enough. We pray for peace for all of our children's children. Duncan.