Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Note on Sunscreen:

It's a must to wear on all exposed areas, even in the winter. True, some of these compounds actually increase the risk of some skin cancers, but all reduce the risk of the dreaded melanoma. The question is, which sunscreen?

I only use children's sunscreen which relies on the old Zinc formulas. They work just fine. The newer ones contain chemicals that when absorbed can have some hormonal effects which are not desirable. So, cover up.

Paddle safe...
DS

5 comments:

Tony said...

The sunscreen you use, is it latex gasket friendly?

Tony :-)

gnarlydog said...

Silbs, you have a good point here about covering up. Since Downunder is the capital of the world for melanoma I use an insane amount of sunscreen. Do you have any suggestions for links to read-up what chemicals are harmful? since I don't dig the "Zink" type (it smears all over the PFD making it go mouldy and makes my hands slippery on the paddle). Currently using an “imported” (from USandA) clear liquid sunscreen that works extremely well for me but I want to check your warnings.

Silbs said...

I put on all my stuff and then apply the sunscreen avoiding the gaskets. The "inert" ingredients may be a problem.
Gnarly, what is the name ofyour sunscreen?

gnarlydog said...

The sunscreen I use is a clear spray that is non greasy and feels almost like water when applying: Banana Boat Sport (http://www.bananaboat.com/products/10704.aspx?cat=1&curBrowseBy=Usage)

Silbs said...

I knew I shouln't have taken the aluminum foil liner out of my helmet.