Wednesday, February 22, 2012

50+ years ago...

...that I took my first Judo lesson. It was a sport I loved and taught over the years and in many cities as I moved about. During the war I took my R&R in Japan so I could visit the Kodokan. Over a decade ago a severed nerve to my left keg took me out of the game. The upside was that it led to my discovering sea kayaking which has become a major part of my life. Anyway...

My old co instructor and I substituted tonight for the current instructor who had to be away. I could do a lot of things, and some moves were not possible. In the end, however, I was able to teach and experience the joy of seeing some of the advanced students get it and improve before my eyes. Teaching is teaching, and teaching is what I (still) do.

Paddle safe...
DS

3 comments:

Buncher said...

Kol hakavod, Sensei. The Gi still fits! :-)

Kelly said...

Why, that gi still looks good on you. If you keep this up, I might just have to come and get schooled by you the next time I'm in town. Kampai!

Silbs said...

Thanks you two. I actually have no pain this morning. Off to kayak.