Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hands...

They are tough to keep warm. Let me say that another way. It was hard for me to find something that will keep my hands warm and allow me to use them in a meaningful way (such as putting the skirt on the rim). A while ago I posted about a poorly made (in my judgement) NRS glove. It's stitching fell apart early in its life. This is the other side of the NRS coin.
 I use their mittens for really cold weather. They are neoprene and the only thing that keeps my hands warm. Problem is, I have to remove them to get the skirt on the boat, and my hands freeze. Lately, with temps above freezing, I have worn their fingered Titanium glove with Reeds long glove coverings. I can get on the skirt with the gloves on, then add the Reeds and go paddling.
Both the fingered gloves and mittens now come with a snug cuff that really works. One, however (according to the folks at Rutabaga), has to be careful not to pull the glove off by the fingers lest one tears the cuff from the glove. I  presume and use the same precaution with the mittens. Good stuff.

Now, give NRS a hand.

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

SherriKayaks said...

The NRS Maverick gloves shown are my current favorite glove. I'm not sure about the cuff coming off, but you are advised to roll the cuff over the fingers when taking the glove off (turning the glove inside out). Then you should leave the glove inside out so that it dries between uses. I wear a very thin Patagonia Capilene liner glove under my NRS Maverick gloves which also makes it easier to put them on and take them off.

Silbs said...

Great thoughts. I need to get some of those under gloves. Are they sold locally?