Friday, June 08, 2012

So-So
There is no doubt that Body, Boat & Blade and its well-respected duo of Shawna Franklin and Leon Somme' are tops in their field. They present themselves well and are highly skilled paddlers and teachers. So, when their new DVD Sea Kayak Rescues came out (along with high recommendstions), I ordered one immediately. It arrived in a few days.

After viewing it once, I must say that I was disappointed or, possibly, missed the intent of the presentation. Don't get me wrong, it's all there to see. All the techniques divided into calm, not so calm and gnarly waters are demonstrated by the capable duo. Yet I was left with the feeling that I got it all only because of my experience and that someone just learning these skills would want and need more detailed explanation.

I own that I may be wrong and would welcome thoughts to the contrary. I will, when time permits, view it again to see if my thoughts persist. Meanwhile, I believe it is a worthwhile view for one who knows the basic concepts of these rescues and can use the visuals to perfect their technique.

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

Haris said...

You are not alone--I am very disappointed. See this review as well: http://www.sherrikayaks.com/2012/02/23/review-of-sea-kayak-rescue-dvd/

Haris said...

You're not alone--I found the DVD extremely disappointing. See also this review: http://www.sherrikayaks.com/2012/02/23/review-of-sea-kayak-rescue-dvd/