Thursday, June 14, 2007


If I could only

Take It To The Bank

For the past several days we have been enjoying the world's best weather and, according to the guys who never get it right, it is supposed to continue like this through the weekend. I wish I could put days like this in the bank. Oh, I've been paddling almost every day out on Lake Michigan (today the blazer goes in for a new air conditioner, so no ride...but I digress). I was thinking, however, that I would like to save some of this for later.

Soon, JB and I will join others to staff at the Door County Sea Kayak Symposium up in...well, Door County. If you look at the back of your left hand you will, essentially have a map of Wisconsin, and your thumb will be door county. The symposium is held on the finger nail of your thumb. Last year it ended with a tornado warning.

We will then drive back down the thumb and up the first finger headed for Michigan's upper peninsula. There we hope to do some camping and paddle Picture Rocks National Sea Shore before continuing on to work at the Grand Marais symposium. Now last year, this happening almost didn't.

One afternoon was abruptly halted by thunderstorms. Sunday morning saw a predawn storm push some of the water out of the bay only to have it return as a mini-tsunami that swept several boats off the beach.

In the end, it will be what it will be.

Paddle safe...

DS

1 comment:

DaveO said...

I need to figure out how to get your gig! There is apparently excellent camping on Grand Island and you can head off to Pictured Rocks from there. That is on my list for this year. Have fun!