Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What the Hell Happened?
I wasn't going to mention it on these pages (because I didn't want everyone mailing me gifts to my home in Glendale, 53217, c/o Milwaukee Kayak Group...but I digress), but I turned 66 on the 12th, and I found myself asking myself, "What the hell happened?"
I remember when my left leg wasn't 40% gone and my right rotator cuff didn't hurt. I remember when I competed in Judo tournaments and single handed a 42-foot cutter across Lake Michigan (during the night, no less). I remember running marathons. I remember when, early in practice, this picture was taken by one of the hospitals where I staffed.
I remember when I could get up three times during the night, go open occluded coronaries and start my regular cases at 7:00 a.m.. There's lots of stuff I can remember doing that I have chosen not to try to do any more. What the hell happened?
The good news? I can still remember.
Paddle safe...
DS

12 comments:

Michael said...

What's that you remember, Dick? LOL

Good on you, mate. Looks like your good for another round of 66.

I'm writing this on the Newfoundland ferry boat, interesting experience.

Silbs said...

Hey, Michael. How good to hear from you and to know you're safe. Look forward to seeing your blog active again. Thanks.

JohnB said...

Stop dwelling on what was! (I never did enjoy history, except for ancient Chinese.) Ok, so you remember all of those things, where did you put your sun glasses that you took off 5 minutes ago. Look to the bright future you have, with or without the shades, there here somewhere, we'll find them.

You really don't need to be wearing your pfd, helmet, and wetsuit while sitting at the computer--well, maybe the wetsuit (or a drysuit might be better).

Did I tell you about the patient I had on Sunday that hadn't been out of their house in 13 years; and not out of the chair they sat in 24 hours a day for 5 years! I won't mention it while we're eating.

Ok--time for me to go to Caribou for my daily fix.

Cheers!

Silbs said...

JB, JB, Hmmmm....I remember you:) As for the helmet, see tomorrow's block buster blog.

derrick said...

Yeah, I think I may have fogotten to say happy birthday grandpa. . . Yeah, there was nothing like the past, except maybe the future. But then today's not too bad either. . But I can imagine it would be nice if you could remember where you put your car keys!

Silbs said...

Thanks. Actually, this is the nicest part of life, and I've never been happier. It is as if all the proceeding days were a preperation for today and tomorrow.

Kristen said...

Cheers, Silbs!

Ron said...

Happy B'day Dick ... and many more!

Silbs said...

Thank you both. Life is good.

RoyM said...

Happy Birthday Dick...missed everyone at Washburn. Hope to see you at GLSKA and trainning camp.

I believe that the number 66 is a good one for getting a solid Balance Brace. Always just one more thing to work on....isn't life a hoot!

Best Wishes
Roy

Silbs said...

Thanks Roy. Actually, I've had a balance brace for some time and am now into the unbalanced brace:)

DaveO said...

I'll second Ron's motion. Have a good one and several more!