Saturday, September 22, 2007

On The Other Hand... (see yesterday's post) In the day, Canon turned out the AE-1, a manual focus film camera. There is through the lens metering as well. There is a Fresnel, split-image screen that makes accurate focusing a breeze. The lens is f1.8 allowing for low light level work. You have to wind the film yourself. Who would want such a primitive camera?
Me, for one. I've purchased several over the years. The bodies are available for around $100. It is a work horse without the fragile bells and whistles of say an Optio. And when the shutter goes off there is a satisfying clank. Best of all, can you say reliable?
So is the new fangled stuff worthwhile? Hell yes, in fact my grandson just came up on the video cam. Later.
Paddle safe...
DS

4 comments:

DaveO said...

I have a Nikon FM with manual everything. Its a wonderful camera, very simillar to the Canon, and I've also been through a couple of bodies. Sometimes the archaic gear (like maybe a Greenland paddle?)is still a great choice.

Silbs said...

Actually, every one of the AE-1's I've bought are still working. I got more for myself and daughters.

vicki said...

I also have an AE-1... and an FTB, and another manual camera body with a top-down viewfinder. Sometimes I miss the heft in the hand of a sturdy, manual camera, although I do not miss the weight of all the gear, especially on back-packing trips. Digital is light, immediate, and useful but film photography certainly is an art.

Silbs said...

Indeed it is. Part of me wants to haul out my 4 x 5, load some sheets of film and go out with my 45 lbs. of equipment to do black and white work.