Friday, September 14, 2007

Too Much of a Good Thing
The Over Use Syndrome

The Capt'n is getting into shape, and he notes in his blog that he is doing it slowly. Good for him. Going too fast too soon can lead to a disaster called the over use syndrome (OUS). I've written about it before, but I need to remind myself about it lest I fall victim to its pain.

To begin, the training effect occurs when a system (muscle, respiratory, circulatory...but I digress) is worked at an effort slightly beyond its present level of conditioning. After such a stress the systems are allowed to rest during which time they heal and actually end up in a slightly higher state of conditioning than before the stress/exercise. If, however, the stress is too excessive and/or the rest period is too short to allow the healing, the entire organism will begin to suffer. If not immediately corrected, the OUS will ensue.

Symptoms of this sad condition include general fatigue and aches, a steady decline in performance in spite of continued "training", sore throat, swollen glands or lymph nodes and even mild fever (in severe cases). In short, it is almost a copy cat of infectious mononucleosis, except that the blood test for mono is negative. What about "treatment"?

The therapy for this condition is don't do something, just stand there. That is, rest. The problem is that if symptoms are ignored, a full-blown case of OUS can take up to a full year for recovery to occur.

So, follow the Capt'n's example. Some people can exercises every day while others need one, two or even three days of recovery in order to avoid problems. Recovery will take longer if the exercise is harder and/or longer. One way to assess recovery from aerobic activity is to monitor your heart rate upon wakening. If it suddenly increase by several beats per minute, do not exercises that day...you have not fully recovered and your bod will not welcome additional stress. For strength training, muscle aches that persist may be the first symptoms that tell you that you've over done things. Remember that exercise, as it stresses the system, actually causes it minor injuries that must heal before being challenged again.

Paddle safe...

DS

6 comments:

Kristen said...

That's a very happy looking garage, Silbs!

DaveO said...

That garage make me actually feel good about mine!

Silbs said...

I guess my garage pic is like a Rosarch (ink blot) test. You all project your inner fears and needs onto my mess. Actually, it all looks better now...well, a little better. Back then, I was going for the casual look. I guess I over achieved it :)

derrick said...

seems like you could squeeze another kayak in there if you really wanted too. . . .

Michael said...

For a moment I thought you'd somehow stolen a picture of my garage and then I noticed the empty air space where kayaks would normally be hanging from the ceiling... LOL Your a brave man, Silbs!

Silbs said...

Yes, I could get another one in,but that's because I sold the Shadow that used to hang from the rafters. In a month or so I will take the camping gear down into the basement, thus creating space....which will somehow be filled in by Lord knows what :)