Thursday, November 13, 2008

'Tis The Season

They've started playing Christmas music on some of the local stations, they've opened the gates down stream and the river is at its low point exposing its PCB contaminated bottom. Besides that, it's colder and often rains. No worries.

I went over to the river the other day for a "fitness" paddle. First upstream to the shallows where the current was too fast to work against. Then, downstream enjoying the crude scenery until I realized the water had gone shallow again and I was whipping along.

I did manage to turn about and work my way back to my put in, all the time coming to understand why the white water types arrange a car down stream (no, this wasn't anything like white water, but I could see getting into a position where I would have had to get out and wade back upstream to slower currents...but I digress).

Because it was a "fitness" outing, I was wearing my heart monitor, but the only time I could really get my rate up there was while loading and unloading the boat from the car.

Paddle safe...

DS

3 comments:

Michael said...

Good for you for getting out on a less than perfect day on a less than perfect bit of water! That's what the tough guys do! I'm heading out now... through the snow...

avital said...

That is emasing!!! Here in Israel we steel use ower summer stuff, roll , and you feel mutch better the seasson change... That is nice. Your pics. gives the atmosphir, the beuity of winter.

Silbs said...

Thanks, Michael. I feel less tough as each winter approaches.

Avital, while we paddle here all winter, we sometimes have to figure out a way to get past the ice on shore to safely enter the water. It is pretty at times, but someone has to shovel all that snow off the rodes and the sidewalks.