Friday, November 14, 2008

What It Seems
v.
What It Is
It feels like this when I wake up...cold. I sometimes hear the wind, and my feet go looking for heavy socks as soon as they hit the floor. I put on more layers than when I paddle and can't wait until I can get to the thermostat and turn it up a bit. Then I step outside to get the paper at the end of the driveway.
And it doesn't seem so cold out there...and I can never quite grasp this paradox. I sometimes debate with myself on whether or not to go out on the big lake. Why subject myself to the wind and freezing cold? Then I step outside and, if the sun is out, bask in the radiant heat...and put the boat on the car.
It's a transition, I know. It takes a little time for my body to adjust to the dropping temps. Same thing happens in spring when I find myself wearing fewer layers than I would now at the same temperature. It's a process
So, one day a voice told me to cheer up, "It could be worse." So, I cheered up...and it got worse.

Paddle safe...

DS

4 comments:

Michael said...

Your posting reminds me of older Inuit who would often live in tents next to their new, heated wooden government houses. Asked why, they often remarked that the houses made them feel out-of-touch with nature and they were cold. All things considered, it was better living in the tent!

derrick said...

OH MY GOD. .. JOHN IS ACTUALLY PADDLING THE HOT DOG!!!

JohnB said...

Yes, one of the few sightings, very few!

D Winter said...

Shortening your driveway may be the solution you're looking for.