Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Came
I Paddled
I saw

As most of you know, the visual part is a large part of things I experience, and it is all the more true for traditional paddling. I arrived already anticipating good times with friends, and I was already looking for those wonderful sights that satisfy my visual hunger. It was, as you can see, a dreary day as I got my SOF onto the beach and changed into my paddling gear.It was only a short paddle to Camp Overlook, and I soon saw the slivers of boats barely visible under their shrouded paddlers.I got right into it and began working with Sharon (sorry, no good pic) who was an immense help. I still had my rolls, but they didn't have that smooth and (more importantly) easy feel to them. She had me do one roll and said, "I can see what you're doing wrong." All it took was a small hand adjustment and I was back in the groove. It was then that I noticed that I was back in the water, literally, while sitting in the boat. I was sinking.

Ashore, I found several areas where the paint had crusted, cracked and even fallen off the skin. I borrowed a boat, went back to the car and returned with a can of Rustoleum and some brushes. I slathered it where ever I could see a problem and set her out to dry over night.It worked just fine, and the next day I was back at it. Unfortunately, as happened two years ago in my other SOF, I tore apart the skin in back just below my belt line. Not sure what the problem is, but I am suspecting the back brace. Oh well, it was time for supper and some of the excellent food we enjoyed all weekend.

Paddle safe...
DS

No comments: