Thursday, August 20, 2009

Red Eye
Oar
Knot
It's raining outside and quite dreary looking. I have several duffel bags packed and laying in wait at the door that leads to the garage. Somewhere in them are clothes for camp wear and paddling gear. There's a small bag of almonds for snacks, some flashlights, first aid kit, foot wear and stuff I can't remember putting in there. No matter, I don't know where anything is located anyway. I will find it as I need it.

Ready or not, in a few hours I start my drive to Manitowoc to catch the noon coal-burning car ferry over to Michigan. Tomorrow, I will drive up to lower Herring Lake just south of Frankfort, Michigan to join new and old friends at QAJAQ training camp. There, we will spend our time rolling, eating, rolling, talking, rolling, sleeping, rolling and rolling. The shore will be strewn with skin on frame kayaks and some modern fiberglass rollers.
I feel a bit anxious about it all this year, but that's not unusual for me. I get that way before travel. On top of the usual is the fact that I am much less flexible than I was two years ago when I last attended. I am also carrying 3-4 more pounds. Fortunately, the Tuilik hides a lot of sins.

Don't know if I will be able to be online again, at least until late Sunday when I am scheduled to return. I will try to grab some interesting shots, but I am not burdening myself with an SLR or telephoto lenses, just the old Optio.
Still, I have a bunch of bags and a lot of junk so, I must be ready...or knot.

Paddle safe...
DS

1 comment:

JohnB said...

and, travel safe!