Monday, April 26, 2010

I Have To Get Back To It
   I haven't done any good photography for some time now. My Optio works part time, and it's somewhat loose battery cover makes me wonder if it is still water proof. That along with the long shutter lag make it less than an ideal on water camera for capturing that special moment.
   I do believe an SLR in a protected something or other would be best. I have one such bag from Aquapac but have never been comfortable with it.
   First, it has to be meticulously closed to be water tight, and I have been unwilling to actually use it on the water. Secondly, the tunnel for the lens is so snug that the barrel has trouble rotating, thus rendering it all pretty useless. A good water proof container would cost more than I paid for the camera.
   Still, season starts now, and I am teaching a two-day sea kayak progressions course this weekend. Perhaps I can take along a sketch artist.

Paddle Safe...
DS....

6 comments:

gnarlydog said...

Silbs, DSLR are a much better tool to take decent images compared to a compact waterproof.
Unfortunately they are way too bulky for action shots taken form the cockpit of my kayak.
I keep a compact waterproof camera in the pocket of my PFD and can shoot images that I could never achieve with a DSLR when paddling in rough waters.
Don’t get me wrong: I know that the image quality does suffer (I used to shoot professionally on a Hasselblad) but having a compact camera right next to me all the time is more valuable than high quality.
Now, from the durability side I view waterproof cameras as “disposable”.
It’s a high price to pay but unfortunately I am now on my 5th Olympus waterproof camera.
The newer models are junk (lasting on average about 6 months (I have warranted 3).
I head good things about the Panasonic TS-1. That will be my next camera.

Silbs said...

I'm still working on a way to get my beautiful wooden 4 x 5 view camera out there :)

Adventure Otaku said...

Gnarlydog,

I am blown away you have been through 5 of the olympus toughs! Should I be glad mine is kind of old? Is it seals that leak? what causes them to die.

PO

gnarlydog said...

PO, my original Olympus 720SW lasted about 3 years and then it started to leak, just a bit.
Was not ruined but I don't use that camera in the water anymore.
I replaced it with a 1030SW that corroded rather soon and was sent for warranty, repaired and immediately after that flooded and totally ruined. Replaced under warranty with a Though 8000 that lasted only about 6 months and started to leak slightly, currently in repairs.
I also purchased a second 1030SW as back up but that corroded fast and warranted repaired. It's working OK now but for how long?...
All cameras seem to leak at the battery port seal. I believe the seal it's a bit flimsy; it just does not seem to be all that much pressure needed to close the port and latch it. One would think that a seal that requires some pressure to seal would be a better seal?
Ah, btw my cameras are used in salt water and they live in my PFD's pocked, but always rinsed in fresh at the end of the paddle.

Adventure Otaku said...

my 750 lives in my PFD as well. Sometimes saltwater, sometimes fresh. I will have to keep an eye on it. thanks for the info.

PO

gnarlydog said...

if interested you can check out pix of corrosion on Olympus camera at: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2009/11/compact-waterproof-cameras-long-term.html