Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It won't be long now...
...and guys like this will appear at our launch site on Lake Michigan. It happens every year. The first warm day of spring arrives and along with it what I call the April Fools. They come in recreational boats, seldom have a pfd (and when they do it is on the rear deck) and are never dressed for the water which remains under 50 F.

Apparently, there are squadrons of guardian angels assigned to these would be paddlers as I am unaware of any recent deaths. I have read of some rescues of these individuals, usually by a fisherman who happen to come along at the right time (see guardian angels above).

For my part, I will be doing a presentation at the local REI store and will address the dress needed in these situations.

Paddle safe...
DS

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have had a couple of paddling related deaths this year already in North Carolina. You can find the details on the web. On the day one kayaker was lost I was on another body of water and there were three rec boaters wearing cotton and not wearing life vests. It took days to find his body. I think I too will work with our club and see what we can do for REI.

Cate Hawthorne said...

Yeap. We have had our first one of the year. http://liquidfusionkayak.blogspot.com/2011/01/life-jackets-save-lives.html
Glad that you are presenting at REI. Hopefully it will help.

SherriKayaks said...

Was this the presentation that was originally scheduled for the night of the blizzard?

JohnB said...

While having lunch last Saturday on the beach at Jack's Cut on Little Tybee Island, 2 guys paddled their sea kayaks by us--all decked out in drysuits and pfds--neither had a PFD anywhere to be seen. And, one didn't have a shirt on! At least the other guy had what appeared to be a "rashguard" type shirt on. When one of our group yelled out, "Don't you guys believe lifejackets?". He simply responded, "negative!". Guess they don't teach "common sense" to the troops.

SandyBottom said...

We had a 60+ degree day a week ago and lost a paddler on one of our lakes, water temp low 40's. No one knows what happened, but they found the kayak and a wetsuit. Two days later they found the deceased paddler in shorts and t-shirt. Tragic!

Silbs said...

The sad thing is it is so simple to avoid most of these problems.

Cogito said...

Hi Silbs!
It took me almost 10 months, but BLN (Better Late Than Never). Saw a link to your site on SherriKayaks, and when I read your "It won't be long" post, I was literally jumping out of my chair yelling Yes!,Yes!,Yes! Great job.

Please drop me a line at moultonavery@hotmail.com so I can get in touch with you.
Warm Regards,
Moulton