Saturday, February 26, 2011

Looking For The DMZ
Waring countries are sometimes separated by a DMZ. Theoretically, this is a neutral area free of weapons and hostility. Well, I could use such a place just now. I need a place where there are no weapons (read harsh rhetoric) and no shouting. I need a place were friends don't fight with friends.

 I need a place where folks with differing opinions don't shout at each other in a hopeless effort to change one another's belief systems. I need a place where friends with polar opposite ideas can gather, ignore (at least for a while) their differences and celebrate what draws them together.

 You all probably know about the political battle going on here in Wisconsin. The issues have resulted in demonstrations and have spilled off the newspapers onto Facebook and heaven knows how many blogs. It is on the national news and almost impossible to escape. Almost.
Much to my relief, there is no mention of this turmoil on Marine Channel 16. More over, the lake seems unchanged and unfazed by our human antics. For the most part, I am unaware of where my fellow paddlers stand on these issues and, I suspect, they are unclear what I support. Our kayaks could care less. Away from the cacophony ashore, we gather to enjoy our common  pastime and the water we've come to love so much. It seems to be understood and respected that our outings are not partisan rallies but, rather, a gathering of friends who have something important in common and about which they share similar ideas. I do believe I have found sanctuary.

Paddle safe...
DS

8 comments:

DaveO said...

Amen! With neither side capable of rational discussion or reasonable compromise let the ranting continue! Think I'll just go skiing today. And maybe even paddle in a month or so....

avital said...

at the begining of your post I was shure you are speaking about the middle east, or about Eajipt...
same-same.

SherriKayaks said...

My thoughts exactly. It's funny how alike we sometimes think. You may want to read the "P.S." at the bottom of my blog post today.

Silbs said...

Dave, get in that boat so you have some stories to tell at Canoecopia.

Avital, lately it has felt as if the world were coming apart. I hope our "wise" leaders can put out these fires.

Thanks, Sherri. I enjoyed your post on your blog. And, yes, we were brother and sister in a previous life. You were a pain in the you-know-what because you were so much younger :-)

RoyM said...

Ha Ha Ha..Dave doesn't need to kayak to have stories:)
Beer and skiing are still stories

JohnB said...

I hope that you didn't go to the coffee klatch this morning. That must have been painful given your state of mind.

Unknown said...

all we can do is- paddle safe, hoping our leader will follow

Silbs said...

It is now Friday the 4th and I am in Indianapolis and feeling better. I needed to get away a bit. It is warmer here, and I have been able to take some walks today. Thanks, all.