Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Elegance and Grace
in the face of
Frustration
(RIP)
So, I wanted to switch out the old braces (in my Cetus MV) for solid aluminum Yakima braces. Where to get the new ones? Well, JB shows up to paddle on sunday and hands me a set he's had in his basement. The guy never ceases to amaze me with his knowledge and resources...and stash.
Taking out the old ones was simple. Back out 4 screws and they come off. Now, all that is needed is to put the new ones on with the screws that have come with them. Both sets of rails have the standard 14.5" between holes. So let's slap those puppies on. First, one needs to assume the rail insertion posture (RIP). Next, one simply holds the new rale in place and smoothly screws them on. But wait, the holes don't quite match up. How can this be? What to do? Call Leslie.
    We spend the next hour in swealtering heat and enjoy no success. It appears that the new rails are longer than the old ones. But they measure the same. I check the medicine cabinets only to find I am out of antidepressants. Think. Think.
The old tracks are plastic and, thus, flexible. They can follow the curvature of the hull and, in doing so, reduce the distance needed between holes by a fraction of an inch.
   A quick exchange of e mails with Brian Day at P&H confirms this and, after a little work with a round file and Leslies' help, they go on.
I have solid new foot braces in my Cetus MV. Life is good.
Paddle safe...
DS

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Now you can come over and help me finish my newest kayak, all I have to do is join the top and bottom and install the foot braces.

Silbs said...

I don't have to tell you to do the braces before the top (for easier installation). How many boats have you built?

gnarlydog said...

Needless to say that you did put a bit of sealant in the slightly enlarged holes on the hull, didn't you? or maybe some water might be seeping in...

Silbs said...

Not yet, but I p lan to. The rail hole has a neoprene washer which seals everything when the screw is tightened. that's all that was on the other set of rails.

gnarlydog said...

If there is a neoprene washer there than sealing the enlarged holes with sealant is not totally critical. So, if it ain't broken, don't fix it :-)

Unknown said...

this is no.6