Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Another Great ReadAaron Stander
I've written about Aaron before. In case you didn't catch it, he is a retired English professor, and we met at a QAJAQ training camp. I remember trying out the Yost designed SOF he had. We also spent some fine time guiding a trip at one of the symposiums. In any event, he gave me one of his books which I subsequently reviewed here. It was a great read.

Aaron wasn't at the training camp this year, but his wife mentioned that he had written another novel. Soon after arriving home, said book arrived in the mail. I avoided it for a few days because I know Aaron's style, and I knew I wouldn't be able to read just a few pages. I was right. I finally sat down with Deer Season and finished it in two sessions. It just reads so well that I was drawn into the story and turning pages with no awareness of time.

I won't go into the story. To say it is a murder mystery is to short change what it is all about. It is the setting, which Aaron knows well, and the character development which carries the reader along. I highly recommend the book and the others he has written. You might also want to check out his other books.

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

Alex said...

Definitely agree. I've read all three of Aaron's books (all on planes and at airports) and they are very engaging reads. You can definitely see Aaron's comfort with his characters growing with each book.

DaveO said...

Stopped at my local B&N but no luck. They did have the other two however.....