Friday, February 26, 2010

Sometimes I Feel Like Staying in Bed
This is the time of year when winter gets long in the tooth. I'm another year older, like you, and don't like to see my days wasted by being in doors. I wax philosophical at these times and muse over the future, such as it is. The economy is not good here, and I worry what the future holds for my kids and their children. That's for another day, and you will have to buy the whiskey.
I am presently teaching 3 courses, 2 in the nursing school, and I am debating letting all that go as of spring. I love teaching, but the crap that goes with it is becoming annoying. Students are whiner who believe staring at a power point presentation will magically move knowledge into their heads. Fewer and fewer can write an complete sentence. Come the warm weather, I don't want to be writing exams (I need 3 by next week, but I digress...yes, within parenthesis Mr. Editor). Teaching on the water is a whole other thing, and I love it.
Some of my favorite people are moving from Ohio (6 hour drive) to the Washington D.C. area (12 hour drive). I will be driving out with my daughter and grand son and flying back to help in the move. Meanwhile, I've had a scare from a medication reaction that my colleague prescribed for my sleep disorder....are you seeing a down-in-the-mouth long-in-the-tooth feeling here?

I gotta' get back on the water.

Paddle safe...
DS

7 comments:

Stan Mac Kenzie said...

I wish you all the best Silbs and kayaking will pull that deep ole tooth right out of yer mouth!


Stan

Finding Meaning in Jewish Learning said...

The cure for the blues is a trip to see Joe-Joe! Come on down. We'll save a Hamantashen for you!

Silbs said...

I hope you are both right. In England I heard someone say, "Keep your pecker up," which could get you arrested over here.

Unknown said...

good luck Silbs, remember the cure for all ills is salt water, sweat, tears or the sea. think it was Karen Blixen said that

Silbs said...

...and where does she paddle in the winter :-)

Unknown said...

Hey another blogger on the water! I found your site while chasing "the Next Blog". I look forward to reading more of your fun stories.

Come on over to Steadfast and check us out, cruising the winters in the Bahamas.

www.steadfastahoy.blogspot.com

Silbs said...

Thanks...and I gather you are not the pup in the picture. Went over to your site...nice digs. I used to sail a Hans Christian 42 and had a Defever 50' trawler.