Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Enough, o'plenty...
The other day I was grocery shopping with lady Linda when I suddenly realized what was all around me. First, food. Tons of it with a vast selection of brands and amounts of everything. There were staples and candies and fresh meats and fresh fruits and vegetables and canned goods from around the world. Several counters were covered with a selections of wines. What I couldn't see could be ordered.

And people. There were shoppers, folks keeping the shelves full, men cutting meat, some ladies slicing fruits for packaging. Behind closed doors were heaven knows how many more people working to keep the supplies coming. And, there were check out people and baggers and truck drivers unloading their goodies.

And I realized that I live in heaven, in the land of plenty...and I was humbled, and just a bit uncomfortable knowing how little some people have in this world and, even, in my own home town.

This morning's paper had a letter to the editor talking about how our NFL team (the Green Bay Packers) are selling shares of the team for $250. The shares are useless and only of "fan" value. The letter writer pointed out how nice it would be for people to donate that money to a food pantry. The paper also has an article on the agencies in my city that are working hard to find places for homeless families to stay during the cold winter.

The imagery of that picture and what I saw in the super market are now swirling around in my head. I am feeling a bit off and a whole lot grateful.

Paddle safe...
DS

4 comments:

Duncan and Joan Barwise said...

And it is when that humility and gratitude, that you expressed so well, Silbs, is shared by all of us who are so fortunate - that the world will come closer to achieving a wholesome balance. We must, at the very least, work towards it. Thanks for sharing. Duncan.

Silbs said...

Thank you, Duncan.

Buncher said...

This is why I had such a hard time moving back from Israel. People don't have there like we do here and yet they tend to be happier, even despite the safety concerns. When I came back to the States, I could deal with listening to people complain about what seemed to me to be insignificant things because I had a new appreciation for how good we have it here. This is paradise.

Silbs said...

Buncher, you are wise beyond your years. I understand that that is genetic.