Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Gentle Giant

Among the fine pleasures I had at Canoecopia this year was the opportunity to meet and talk with Wayne Horodowich of the University of Sea Kayaking (USK). Many of you will be familiar with their DVD series on most of the things that most of us sea kayakers want to learn and know. Much of what you see on these presentations is narrated by Wayne.

The first thing that impressed me when I saw him on a DVD and, again, in person, was his size. Well over 6 feet, I'd watch as he folded himself into a cockpit and effortlessly demonstrated strokes and rescues. When he spoke, however, he was concise and deliberate and, yes, soft spoken. A good teacher.

Recognizing him at the show, I introduced myself and immediately used his friendliness and the opportunity to pick his brains on some of his rescue techniques. And, it turns out, they are techniques, not applications of the brute strength I suspect Wayne possesses. He was generous with his time and accommodating when I asked him and his lady to pose for a picture. My only disappointment was that I didn't get a better quality shot. I hope they (and I) are there in 2008.

Paddle safe...

DS

No comments: