Sunday, July 06, 2008

THANKFULLY, AND FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE,
SOME THINGS CHANGE...
THANKFULLY, AND FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE,

SOME THINGS DON'T

During my lifetime, I have seen miraculous inventions and discoveries become commonplace. I have seen technology that I could once not have imagined become part of my everyday life. I've seen previously fatal diseases cured and others controlled. I have, indeed, seen some wonderful changes.

On the other hand, I've seen some lousy ones, as well. Sometimes, because of their adverse effects, it seems that there are more bad changes than there are good changes. Thankfully, one thing hasn't changed much since I was a child.

The one blessed constant is our 4TH OF JULY celebrations. You don't have to live here to know that we consider this the birth date of our country, the beginning of our still free way of life. We all also know how many wars have been fought since then to maintain that freedom and how for many years the men, and more recently the men and women, of this country have stepped forward to defend our precious rights (don't worry, this isn't going to be a political piece on good and bad wars...but I digress).So, setting aside technology, every year at this time people across the country put out the flag and decorate their homes in red, white and blue.All over the country; towns, cities and little villages hold a parade consisting of bands, horses and anyone else who just wants to walk down main street and wave at their neighbors.
And, there are always our local servant/heroes that we honor for keeping us safe and well.
Thankfully, and best of all, is the simplest act that has not changed during all of that time. Best of all: men and women and children, rich and poor, black white yellow and red skinned folks all honor the sacred ritual of standing and removing their hats when the flag passes by.
Well, almost everyone.

Paddle safe...
DS

No comments: