Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tennis Anyone?
We all paddle for different reasons and have a variety of things we'd like to achieve out there. Sea kayakers as a group, it seems to me, generally share the common goal of wanting to improve their skills. To this end, instructors spend many hours over a variety of beverages discussing ways to improve their teaching techniques. Sooner or later, however, someone in such a gathering will utter the dreaded (to me) word, "Games."

Now, if by game they mean go get the ball, maybe using only one stroke, fine. After all, that will improve skills in boat control. But, sooner or later, when on the water, some sadist will yell, "switch boats." I don't say, but do think, what the hell for? I am, after all in a boat which I spent much time selecting. I have. more over, taken even more time fitting it out...and it still isn't quite right yet. And you want me, at risk of life and pfd, to sit in your ill-fitting craft? Well, I never.Sure, such activities can be fun, but aren't always so. Those of us in the brittle-bone-time of life and who sometimes need 2 buddies just to help us get out of our boats and have few brain cells to risk (ever think we should wear helmets for this nonsense?...but I digress) don't always take kindly to these acrobatics. Maybe we need to get the group, and the beverages together and think this through. Meanwhile, don't rock the boat.

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

Mine's said...

I knew you guys were nutz but I never realized how nutz.

JohnB said...

Oh but if you REALLY knew . . .