Friday, January 07, 2011

Molecules, Compounds & Me
We all know how molecular activity and, for that matter, most chemical reactions can be slowed by lowering the temperature. Apparently, the same phenomena has the same effect on my rear end and the rest of my body. Call it winter lethargy. The analogy does not stop there.

Most compounds tend to expand when heated and contract when cooled. Water (don't get ahead of me) actually expands when frozen. Sadly, the compounds (call it adipose) around my waist act the same. In the science of Richardology (the study of Dick) we learn that I get slower and fatter when the sky is constantly gray and Polar Bears appear in my back yard here in Wisconsin.
 And don't forget the mental consequences of all this. As my scores on the Zunge Depression Scale soar my motivation to go outside plummets (and now we're back to slow, expanding molecules and compounds). Each day it becomes harder to go to the gym. It has gotten to the point that when entering my garage (to get into my car) I have to keep my eyes down lest I gaze upon my abandoned skin on frame hanging above Lady Linda's car.
But do not fear and do not lose hope. I will get to a pool session soon. Classes at the two colleges will begin. I will become engaged. I will be active and on my feet more. I will get out of the house much more frequently. And, hopefully, I will leave a trail of fallen adipose compounds where ever I go.
Paddle safe...
DS

8 comments:

canoelover said...

Zung. Yeah. Amazing what a good night's sleep and 20 minutes more od daylight will do to a guy.

See you soon, I hope. Like in 62 days? :-)

Silbs said...

I hear you. Wish I could make the Georgia trip...I could use it, and I bet Medicare would cover it.

Michael said...

Come, come Dick, the south is calling. It wants those adipose chemicals...! All your friends are going. Even me!

Silbs said...

Where and when are you going?

DaveO said...

You just need to convert some of those boring gym activities into winter outside activities. I see no hope or cure for the chlorine addiction however.

SherriKayaks said...

Where was that last photo taken? It reminds me of the coastal plain in Arctic Alaska.

Stan Mac Kenzie said...

I hear you on all counts...if it is of any consolation, you are not alone......but I really like that bottom picture of this post.

Silbs said...

DaveO: I used to xcountry and snow shoe, but I can no longer do that since losing some function in my leg.

Sherri & Stan: I think that was taken at the dead Sea looking at Jordan.