Friday, January 29, 2010

The Other (under) Side of Rolling
I've been trying to watch and capture what goes on under water when someone sets up to roll. The set up is the start of it all, and mispositioning here can kill the entire deal.
I am looking to see the position of the paddler, especially their shoulders and how  perpendicular they are to the surface. I also look to see if the paddle is above the surface and, thus, not visible in the image. Eventually, I want to use video mode to follow the path of the blade during the final stage of the roll.

I am sure others have done this and have done it better than I will. but, hey, it's winter and a guy needs something to pass the time.

Paddle safe...
DS

4 comments:

Mackayak said...

I will be following your posts about roll positioning with interest and maybe do the same myself to see what is happening on my 'off' side...

Anonymous said...

I will have my "go pro hero cam" mounted on my kayak for the pool session on Sunday. I should be able to capture the entire roll...from set up to finish on video. I will keep you posted and see you Sunday.
Rick R.

Silbs said...

So, Mackayak, does that mean I have to take more of these?

Anon: consider letting someone else wear the cam and photo you underwater.

Mackayak said...

Yes - its a good idea, passes the time like you say, and encourages folk like me!