Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Sometimes I feel like...Face it, it's winter. It's that time of year of short light cycles, low vitamin D levels and increased depression and sadness. Even though it has been unseasonably warm (up to 50 F. today...but I digress), it is still dark when I arise, and the sun (when it shows up) is gone before dinner time.

If I get myself going, things go better. Even when I want to, but don't feel like, paddling I feel better once underway. It looks very much as if this will be such a day. It is 5:30 am. I will walk Ansel and drive my daughter to work before returning home. I like to wait until midday to paddle in order to enjoy the warmest part of the day. During that period between returning home and going paddling is when I will feel like a flat tire on a bicycle: repairable but needing some work before being useful.

So, it is time to put on the coffee and make a bite to eat. I am already wearing the warm base layer under my jeans and pull over. It is my way of committing to going out later in the day. In fact, I can't wait until then...when I will feel inflated again.

Paddle safe...
DS

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Some air and a good paddle . . . that's all you need? Oh yes, the coffee too. Just remember, the short periods of sun light is only a temporary thing, and the days are already getting longer. See, the glass is half full!

derrick said...

inflated? Wearing your drysuit eh?

Yeah, I keep telling myself the days are getting longer too. Doesn't always help though. :)

Michael said...

Such a common feeling, Dick! That lull before the adrenalin kicks in with the first paddle stroke. I feel it too. Today I rest, tomorrow (when those warm temps hit me as well) I paddle - perhaps, all day. I feel like doing a 20 miler to start 2007...