Monday, January 01, 2007

This, then, is how the Year ends...The poet said the world would end "...not with a bang but with a whimper." My jazz friends would say, "...not with a bang but the blues," ...but I digress. Well the year ended with coffee with JB in the morning and a house party with relatives in the evening. We were home before the stroke of midnight.

This year, on the other hand, has begun not with a sunrise but with the same old crap. The Beta form of Dashboard (what is used to post these blogs) wouldn't upload photos (again), but the old version would. There was a note atop the form saying, "we're out of beta," with an x through the word beta. Milwaukee is also out of Schlitz.

So, I feel like a curmudgeon just now. It is 2007 and the simple things don't work (still). There are still 100 wars going on all over the world. I see lots of men who look pregnant while half a content is starving to death. I see people spending fortunes on lawyers to get out of a traffic ticket while tyrants continue to kill at will. I see cheaters and low-lifes, albiet among rightgeious dudes. At least Derrick is opining the state of civilization and the state of the planet. Me? I do what I can. Maybe I am keeping some of my powder dry for just the right shot. Meanwhile, I think I shall have some more coffee and go out and enjoy the global warming.

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

Michael said...

Cheer up, Dick! Coffee, warm engagingconversations and good trustworthy friends change the world every day, albeit in tiny, perhaps unrecognized ways. I do believe that. I don't care who's being bad out there. My plans are to see what good I can do in the next year and focus on that. It might make a little difference, who knows?

Silbs said...

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.