Friday, March 02, 2007

Do you believe in miracles?
I do, off and on. Sometimes I do, while other times I think lucky things just happen at the right time. Just now, however, I do believe, and I believe in a way I never have before. I remember my mother telling me that I wouldn't feel totally complete until I had had the experience of holding my own child. She was right, and I still have vivid memories of holding each of my daughters shortly after their appearances in this world.
At this time of year when we are all looking forward to spring, my mind is on another event set to happen in May when my eldest is due to give birth to our first grandchild. I cannot remember ever looking forward to anything with more joyful anticipation. More over, this is has all been heightened by present-day technology which allows a peek into the future (via ultrasound).
I am happy to report that the young man has 10 toes and 10 fingers, our old standard for a healthy baby. So, I sit here in a mixed stand of anticipation and worry (hey, I always worry...but I digress), and the snow (about which I have been bitching) doesn't seem all that big a deal.
And, speaking of miracles, do you believe in heaven? Well, does a house in Cincinnati with a grandson in it and a pool in the back yard for rolling qualify?
Paddle safe...
DS

4 comments:

Morah Wasserberg said...

Do kayaks come in baby sizes?

Silbs said...

Good question. NDK? Rockpool? Who will step up and sponsor my grandson?

Ron said...

Congrats!! Very good news! I am a father 3 times, my oldest is now 31. Maybe someday soon I'll get to be a grandfather too.

Michael said...

Heaven is what you make it Dick, and it looks like you've made it perfectly! Making you own heaven also reminds me of that song where a hobo is wondering whether the panhandling will be better up there...

BTW you'll note, no annoying post today from some horrid snow-free locale! I'm thinking about ya!