Saturday, April 07, 2007

Simplify

I guess it happens as we get older, the desire to simplify. I, for example, own a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff I once had to have and for which I now have little use. There are the 35mm, medium format and large format film cameras, a professional wet darkroom, all sorts of "toys", and five kayaks. After a while, the things I accumulate seem to turn into stuff and even become a burden rather than a joy. If I had the money I have spent on all this stuff, I would be wealthy beyond belief (not really, but it sounds dramatic).

I now have a Romany which I use a lot. It is well suited for rolling and, with its nimbleness, for teaching. More over, it isn't quite a full size kayak and is, therefor, easy for me to off and on load. That's one. I also have an Arctic Tern, a wood boat I built from a kit. It was something I'd wanted to do. So I did. It is a good looker if you don't walk up to close to her. If you do, you will see the warts and imperfections of a first time effort. I am willing to part with this boat. That's two.

I have a Kevlar Perception Shadow with a rudder and smart pedals and have had the boat up for sale. It's a good boat made for tripping. It has a good deal of storage space. It does not track as well as I'd like (without the rudder); besides, I've become a skeg guy. I would like to sell her (and, don't tell Lady Linda, replace her with something else). That's three.

Then there are the 2 SOF boats (for you public school grads, that makes 5). One I made myself, the other was made by Peter strand. As you know, I recently got a short gash in the first (it is canvas...but I digress). I have sewn the wound, but the edges will not pull together, even after wetting down the canvas from the inside. I will make some filler with chalk and linseed oil and, finally, glue on a patch...probably with GOO. The second SOF is a pure rolling machine. That makes 5 boats, and I could do just fine with 3. I figure it would be more than enough to have the Romany for teaching and paddling alone, one SOF to play Inuit and something with a long water line so I don't have to work so hard to keep up during group paddles. Besides, I've been having thoughts of camping again and may want to do some short trips. I know, I know. The romany will hold more than enough for a short trip, but this is my wish list.

What I've learned from all this and from trying to sell used boats is that simplifying is anything but simple.

Paddle safe...

DS

No comments: