Friday, October 23, 2009

One of Our Own: Doug Winter
Doug is a teacher in the Milwaukee Public School system. He is also a kayaker and, I would like to think, a good friend. He has done me innumerable favors and used to paddle regularly with the Milwaukee sea kayak group. Today, on our Yahoo site, someone posted an article from a Duluth newspaper (Minnesota). Apparently, a Ric Winter of Wisconsin was notified that a kayak registered to Doug (his brother) was found washed up on shore in the Duluth area. Doug's car, keys inside, were also found nearby. No sign of Doug. I fear the worse.
The web page of a local TV station has a picture of a kayak cockpit, and I believe it is the boat shown above. I have just spoken to the news room at the paper, and they have nothing new since Tuesday, 3 days ago.

Now and then I read of paddlers going amiss, some famous. I care about those stories because they are, after all, fellow paddlers. Doug is more than that. He's one of our own.

Please...
Paddle safe...
DS

11 comments:

DaveO said...

Silbs, check my post today, his sister got in touch with me. The search is continuing and they had an update in this morning's Duluth paper. Offshore winds 30-40 knots with 5-7' waves does not bode well. Don't know what he was doing out after dark solo but I hope the family gets some closure.

Karla said...

I am Doug's sister in San Diego. Our family sincerely appreciates any assistance you may lend in finding him. If anyone has seen him recently or has new information regarding the search please let me know.

Stan Mac Kenzie said...

Sad to hear about that Silbs.


Stan

Finding Meaning in Jewish Learning said...

Just heard the news from mom. Heart breaking for all of you. Prayers going out to Doug here in Cincinnati.

Silbs said...

Karla, I am so sorry for what you and the family must be enduring. We are doing what we can, as little as that might be. I have given information to the radio and TV sations and some are running pictures of Doug taken from this blog.

We are all saddened and await word from from any source. Please let us know if you learn anything. I can be reached at this site or at silbs6521gmail.com..Dick

Karla - Doug's Sister said...

I can be reached at k3dschulz@cox.net Please contact me with any information you may have. The Duluth News Tribune ran an article yesterday saying the search was renewed over the weekend weather permitting. Your prayers and any information are sincerely appreciated. Thank you all.

Mine's said...

My prayers are with Doug, his family, and friends. Know that you are in my thoughts.

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

Sad Sad news... Thanks for the post keeping us informed.

Anonymous said...

He was my teacher in 7th grade. and was the only teacher i liked. to his family, sorry for your loss he was a good man

Anonymous said...

I am a class amte of Doug's from high school in Shawano, Wisconsin. He was a wonderful person. I haven't seen him in many years but will fondly remember him. I am so sorry for his friends and family left behind.

Silbs said...

Thank you, we all miss Doug.