Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What's he up to?It was after paddling out of South Milwaukee at the end of Grant park, and I was driving home. I chose to go through the park to enjoy its scenery when I noticed this fellow acting in a way that was, at least to me, a bit strange. I'm no Martk Trail type, and I don't hunt. So I am not heavily into deer psychopathology.

He would trot a few feet, then lower his head, trot and so on. Watching him (I had stopped the car by now...but I digress), it occured to me that he was tracking something by smell, just as I've seen my dog, Ansel, do. But what? Deer aren't, to the best of my knowledge, carnivorous, and plants (also to the best of myknowledge, but I never took botany...but I digress again), don't leave trails. I soon became worried that he was sick with that deer-brain disease we have in Wisconsin.

As I drove off, I wondered if I should notify the officials--the official what I don't know. Then I came around a little curve, and there they were, a lovely bunch of does. Look back at the picture, and you will see it. The guy was just horny.

(With apologies to punsters around the world)

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

derrick said...

. . . and the does were just looking for a good buck. . . pardon again. . .

JohnB said...

. . . and aren't we all???