Saturday, December 23, 2006

Where is this , anyway?As the miles slipped by between Milwaukee and Ohio, I noticed again how the interstate system looks the same where ever I go. In fact, I notice how the cities and villages, too, have lost the uniqueness of their areas. It once was that you could tell where you were by the look of the homes and the landscapes around them. Then, as we cemented over more and more of the country and cities grew larger and larger, the big boys with their big box stores multiplied like bunnies and erased any local characteristics left. Something important, to me, was lost.

So it doesn't matter where this book store is (it is in Ohio). It looks like every other one of its kind across the country. Even the books inside are 99% the same in every store. After a while, one has to wonder if it makes any difference where they themselves are.

Well, that does make a difference to me. This is where my older daughter and her husband live. This is where my grandchild is germinating. This is where they are buying a home. This place, therefore, is important to me. It is different than any other place on earth to me. So, in keeping with that thinking, I had to find something else unique here, something that said, "You are here, not in Milwaukee, but here...and no where else." So I found such a place.The beer was cold and the sandwhiches delicious.

Paddle safe...
DS

3 comments:

JohnB said...

We have those in Milwaukee too. . .

JohnB said...

Oh, by-the-way (BTW to those of you into "IM speak", went to Bella's today for a cup of soup and some coffee---Jim and Mary both asked about your, said to tell you hello and see ya next week!

Michael said...

I suppose with everywhere being the same, one can never get lost...