Saturday, September 01, 2007

QAJAQ Camp V
Rescue Me
I have two skin on frame boats, one of which I built and one from Peter Strand. I will paddle the former alone (near shore and with float bags...but I digress) because I have made it fit loosely and can wet exit it easily. But I wear my rolling machine and have to slither into it. I cannot quickly get out.
For the first time I heard this very problem addressed by the staff at camp along with warnings about paddling alone. There is always, of course, the Petrussen maneuver, but it requires (in a way) getting out of the cockpit (while the baggy Tuilik remains attached). One still has to re enter and roll if no one shows up to help.


If we are with someone and go over, the other paddler can turn us, even if we are unconscious and unable to assist in a bow rescue. This can be done from either end of the boat:Or at the cockpit by dropping one's weight into the water:The T-rescue, when done with SOF boats, is a bit different than what we do in European boats. It begins the same, with the entire boat coming aboard and being emptied:With the SOF's, the paddler being rescued is directed to the stern or bow of the rescue boat but finally to the bow where he or she helps drop the fore deck into the water:They then take a walk up the rescuer's boat (being careful to walk on the gunnels and not the soft deck) and re enter their boat while it sits high and dry. As in any situation, a panicky or uncooperative paddler may have to be subdued:I cannot begin to reproduce here the wonderful and witty banter that went on amongst these talented good friends as, at times, it was hard to tell if they were trying to rescue or drown one another. Best to just

Paddle safe...

DS

2 comments:

Michael said...

I am enjoying your Qajaq Camp series immensely! It's making me anxious to have my re-newed SOF back out on the water.

Silbs said...

How about some pics of it?