Monday, December 08, 2008

Eclectic
I sometimes think that eclectic is a pseudo sophisticated word meaning without any point. I am thinking especially about my photography. Fellow photogs seem to have no trouble labeling themselves as a nature, portrait, wildlife or other type of photographer. I, on the other hand (to borrow a phrase from Archie Bunker) ain't one of those guys...I'm all of them. I just like to photograph anything that has eye-emotional appeal for me and to work with the image to recreated what I had seen in my mind. Some would call it hit and miss or aimless, I prefer eclectic. Once in a while, I will make an "editorial" picture which generally is aimed at making an environmental statement. Most times, however, I just want to record something that speaks to me, even if I don't know what it is trying to say (excuse any repeats from previous postings).
I have done some assignments, like shooting the chefs for a Liver Association Dinner. I even poke fun with some of my images.

And, of course, I love doing available light portraiture. But, then, I'm eclectic.

Paddle safe...

DS

2 comments:

Greg Fojtik said...

Whatever it is, it sure works. I always love your photos. They're well conceived and well executed. Varying on another Archie Bunker expression -- Please don't stifle yourself.

derrick said...

yup, great stuff. . . whatever the hell you call it. . .