Friday, March 20, 2009

Ben

At the bottom of all my e mails is a permanent "signature" the reads, Teaching is my passion. For me, teaching, i.e., passing on your knowledge and skills, is a high calling and a skill to be honed. It is not surprising, then, that I admire great teachers in all fields. I especially love to see new, innovative techniques used for good teaching. It is not surprising, then, that I requested to be a host in the room where folks like Danny Mongo (see previous blogs) and Ben Lawry were to present.

Ben has developed his "dry land paddling" sessions to a fine art by which he vividly demonstrates how it is the lower body, and not the paddle, that "rolls" a boat up. More over, his 4 P's of paddling is a succinct method of showing how the positions of the sits bones (I. Tuberosities), legs, chest and arms are crucial to good balance and sustainable paddling. From the picture above, you can see that Ben had the audience, and himself, on the edges of their seats.

In talking with Ben, I sensed that he thought the talks may have "run their course" in that everyone has either seen his DVD's or been to one of his presentations. Maybe so, but this material is worth more than one go around, and I always pick up another nuance when I see and hear Ben present. If you don't have any idea about which I speak, you be sure to be there the next time Ben Lawry is on the program.

Paddle safe...

DS

2 comments:

JohnB said...

Ben will be doing a series of classes at Rutabaga 7/31 - 8/2, I'll be assisting him. Also, I believe he will be at the Door County Symposium again this year.

Silbs said...

The good news keeps coming!