Thursday, March 26, 2009

If a Tree Falls In a Forest...

...and no one is there, does it make a sound? That's an age-old philosophical question that has made for much lively debate. But, let me ask you, if there is a thing of beauty in the woods and no one sees it, is it beautiful? After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or so they say. If something is out there, it is just there. It isn't until someone discovers it, recognizes it for what it is and declares it to be beautiful.

I want to believe that there are an infinite number of things waiting somewhere for me to find, appreciate and declare beautiful...to me. In fact, I do believe these things exist, and that they exist everywhere. It isn't, you see, just a matter of discovering something, but taking the moment and having the eye to appreciate its beauty, no matter how mundane the object might be.

It may be a series of lines, even man-made ones, that draws one's eye. Often it is the splash of
color or the delicate petals of a flower that catches one's eye and makes that person pause to look and declare, that is beautiful. To make the leap, one of my great joys in kayaking is to just look and wait and discover one beautiful image after another. And, if I am lucky, I sometimes catch it with my camera.

Okay, so sometimes it is more amusing than beautiful.

Paddle safe...

DS

1 comment:

DaveO said...

I just have to admire the double shot of rear cleavage and the tramp stamp. Fine work, sir!