Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Good Luck, Gary,
Sue, Jeff and Greg
Gary Simon was the first amongst our group to get into kayak racing. A retired attorney, he has trained through pain and worked endlessly on his forward stroke while traveling around the country to race. Well, the race around Washington Island is coming up, and I want to wish him well.

The Island is just off the northern tip of Door County in Wisconsin, and the race is worth the trip just to see the scenery.
Several others in our little community have taken up the sport, like Jeff and Sue and, lately (see previous post), Greg. It's not for me, but I admire anyone who can train, race and keep upright in a boat that has as much initial stability as an elephant on a golf ball.

Paddle safe...
DS

2 comments:

2 Krazy Kayakers said...

Kudos to those with the strength and stamina to race. I respect them and admire their ability. I much prefer taking it slow though, taking in all of the sights, and savouring the peace and tranquility out on the water. I don't think I have it in me to keep my eyes focused forward.

Silbs said...

I pretty much agree. I used to run marathons, but not to finish first. I actually miss it, but one leg is partially knocked out.