Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Just Do It
So you don't have a picture perfect forward stroke...yet. So you haven't learned to select a boat for your specific needs. So the paddling snobs (a rare breed) tell you you're doing it all wrong. So what? Let me ask you two questions: 1, Are you wearing a pfd? 2, Are you having fun? If you said "yes" to both you are a true kayaker. You just love doing it.
And, hey, is the kayak one of the few times you get to hang with dad or mom? Is the kayak at the cottage the one thing the family does together? Are you wearing a pfd? Man, you have discovered the best of recreational kayaking.
Maybe, one day you will take lessons, get a sea kayak and paddle on big water like Victoria above. If you do, and this is purely your choice, you will find a whole new world of kayaking and pleasure on the water. Until then, don't let anything stop you. Just be safe, wear a pfd, have company and just do it.

Paddle safe...
DS

8 comments:

Ron said...

Great advice ...

Adventure Otaku said...

I couldn't have said it better myself, and in fact I didn't.

PO

avital said...

Just love your attitude!!!!

avital said...

Just love your attitude!!!

David H. Johnston said...

What a great post. Thanks for writing it!

David J.
http://www.paddlinginstructor.com

Silbs said...

Thanks, Ron, now I have to heed it more.
Thanks, OTAKU. Arigoto (spelling?)
Hey, Avital, I am showing your comment to my wife.
Thanks David.

2 Krazy Kayakers said...

Well said! What a great post!

We happen to be lucky in that kayaking has given us a lot of opportunities to hang out with my parents but also as my dad is working towards becoming an instructor we also get a lot of free lessons. :D

Silbs said...

Family deal, I love it.