Wednesday, June 09, 2010

                     Big, Bad and Better
Just found a nice article on the Guillenmot site (click on info and then design in left column) about paddle size v. paddle speed. I recommend it. I can't do it justice here except to surmise that using a larger blade and paddling slower (fewer strokes/minute) is more efficient than using a smaller blade and taking more strokes. Now, I realize, this has nothing to do with the perceived energy your shoulders may report to your brain the next day, but it is food for thought.

Paddle safe...
DS

5 comments:

DaveO said...

Hmmmmm. This would seem to be at odds with the Doug Van Doren greenland stick/high rate of paddle stroke school of thought. With weights I'd always heard that light weights & repetition built muscle tone and stamina while heavy weights with minimal reps built strength. It will be interesting to see the comments.

JohnB said...

With proper torso rotation your shoulders shouldn't complain at all.

RoyM said...

But Doug Van Doren's paddle is 4 inches wide.....so he is using a large Greenland paddle.(or a wide one)

I'm going to finish a 3 7/8 inch wide 86 inch paddle I have had in the works...then see.

I always liked my euro blades big.

this paddle feels very promising.

Adventure Otaku said...

I agree with John B, if your rotating your shoulders are doing very little. What that article was saying does make sense, but my experience tells me I like paddling with a light paddle, with a smaller blade more than a bigger blade. It just feels like less work.

Like so many things, the science may not agree with the feel.

But it is interesting, thanks for posting it. It will definitely generate some thought.

PO

Silbs said...

The article, to be sure, was pure physics and really didn't address the human perception of effort. The big paddle may be more efficient, but the body might do better with smaller more frequent repititions. As for the shoulders, it was a euphimism for the perception of effort. thanks guys.