Friday, June 04, 2010

Paddling to Carnegie Hall
People sometimes ask me what I do out there (on the lake) all those times I go paddling. They want to know where I go and are often surprised when I tell them no where. What do I do? Practice, I tell them. Every time I go out alone or have some alone time before a group paddle, I practice. I practice every stroke over and over at one time or another.

Most recently, I reviewed Ben Lawry's old DVD on forward stroke and picked up a pearl I had some how missed. The top hand, he points out, should make an L. First down during capture, then straight across a horizontal line during propulsion. End result: the blade is kept as perpendicular as long as possible for maximum efficiency.

So I go back to basics and very slowly concentrate on one thing, in this case an L-movement of the top hand: over and over while I build muscle memory. A few sessions of this and I have already seen improvement in my forward stroke. It is smoother, I am rotating my torso much better and I get less fatigued. Practice, practice, practice. That's how the cab driver told the tourist was the way to get to Carnegie Hall.

Paddle safe...
DS

4 comments:

Adventure Otaku said...

I too, practice when I paddle alone. Lately I spend a great deal of time working on just one or two things. I have seen Ben Lawry's rolling DVD I will have to look for the one you mention. I have seen him teach a couple of times, and he is really a very good teacher.

PO

2 Krazy Kayakers said...

I am currently working on this. So far, everytime I get one thing down the rest goes and I am more fatiqued and sore than ever so I KNOW it's all wrong! LOL I will have to check out that video and like you said practice, practice, practice. Happy paddling!

Silbs said...

Thanks, like your page. Where are you guys?

2 Krazy Kayakers said...

Thanks! We are in Northern California. Great year round kayaking here! :D