Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Not This Year
These shots from last year's QAJAQ training camp remind me that this year's camp is not far off...and I won't be going. It wasn't an easy decision since I love the group, the site, the energy and the goings on. In the end, my decision was forced by a summer schedule that was starting to even scare me. Just too much going on.
In addition to symposiums, lessons and camping trips, I am teaching two courses and have just inked an agreement to teach at a nearby college starting in fall. Before then, I will need to decide if I am going to continue at my present teaching position at a local school of nursing. If I do, I would be teaching most of Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Hell of a retirement, hey?

At the time I signed, I anticipated a break between semesters when I could let go of all professional responsibilities, recharge and do my thing. Turns out I need a little something called a full graft transplant from my palate to an area over my right incisor where the gum has receded greatly (getting all this, Steve?). The oral surgeon (she cut to the chase) has reassured me that I will have lots of pain for about a week and shouldn't go swimming for 7-10 days. So much for a relaxing summer "break". Is it no wonder I no longer sleep well?

On the plus side, I have been on the water a good deal already this season (as well as all winter). I am using high angle paddles most of the time, and my forward stroke has improved noticeably (to me, at least). Now, I wonder, if I don't fall over...or if I duct tape a snorkel in place in my mouth...can I paddle straight on pain pills?

Paddle safe...
DS

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What, you still have all your own teeth?

2 Krazy Kayakers said...

"Now, I wonder, if I don't fall over...or if I duct tape a snorkel in place in my mouth...can I paddle straight on pain pills?"

This could make for a quite interesting blog entry... Just take someone with you! LOL

RussJ said...

If you don't like it you can always re-retire.

RoyM said...

Sadly...because of conflicting dates this year...I will not be able to make it to Mich Trainning Camp either:(

Silbs said...

Steve, I have SOME of my own teeth yet, not all.
It goes without saying (which explains why I am saying) that I would not paddle while on prescription pain pills...at least, not alone.
I am retired, Russ. That's why I have so much time to work, paddle and get into trouble.

Silbs said...

Roy, if I had gone, I would have missed not seeing you...but I am not going, so....I have a headache.

RoyM said...

I'll see you at Grand Marais...so far, I can still make that one....

BTW , nice pictures, I made that hand paddle in the first picture:)

not sure who has it.....

Best Wishes
Roy